Tour Coxsackie cemetery started in 1826
The Bronck Museum and Village of Coxsackie sesquicentennial committee are sponsoring a walking tour of the Mansion Street Cemetery on Aug. 6. The tour, part of events marking the village 150-year anniversary, begins at the Route 385 cemetery’s main gate, 46-52 Mansion Street, at 1 p.m. Bronck Museum Curator Shelby Mattice will lead the walking tour which is free and open to the public.
On Saturday, Aug. 5, at the Coxsackie Riverside Festival, there will be a tent displaying pictures of the Village. For other events celebrating the Village of Coxsackie’s 150th Anniversary, visit http://villageofcoxsackie.com/departments/150th-anniversary-celebration-committee/.
The Coxsackie Village Cemetery, easily accessed from the north or south via Rte 9W or Rte 81 from the west, is one of four known early cemeteries within the village that predate the larger Riverside Cemetery. Developed with the assistance of the Reformed Dutch Church, the cemetery was established to provide “… a place of burial in a convenient situation to accommodate the inhabitants of the village of Coxsackie and the Landing and those in the vicinity.”
In March 1826, some citizens began the sale of subscriptions to finance the purchase and development of a parcel of land. On Aug. 26, 1826, the group finalized the purchase of 1.25 acres for $193.50.
“Those who bought subscriptions in the cemetery read like a who’s who of early Coxsackie,” according to museum Operations Manager Jennifer Barnhart.
Congressmen, Civil War veterans and civic leaders are buried in the cemetery. Some gravestones list the cause of death.
Gloria MazurePost Author
Boomer & Senior Resources is dedicated to empowering area seniors, their caregivers and healthcare professionals to obtain the knowledge and resources needed to provide quality care for an aging relative, friend or patient.
Did you enjoy the article?Then consider sharing it via these links.